10 Keys to a Successful Adventure
I’ll be on vacation next week, so that’s got me thinking about preparing for a journey…or any kind of change. Whether it’s a vacation, a job change, getting married, moving, or any other big transition in your life, they all have certain things in common.
Here are 10 keys to any successful “adventure.”
- Know what to take. Make sure you’re as equipped as possible.
- Know what the leave behind. Not everything has to come. Be wise in what you don’t bring.
- Have a budget for going. Everything has a cost in time, money, effort, and opportunities not taken.
- Know what it cost to not go. Sometimes it’s much more expensive to stay right where you are.
- Know who’s going with you, and why. Choose your traveling companions well. Often they can make or break your trip.
- Know the purpose of the trip. Why are you going? There’s nothing worse than getting to the end and realizing you missed why you went in the first place.
- Have a plan. It’s unwise to start out on a big adventure without planning.
- Recognize that the plan won’t work out exactly as planned. No matter how carefully you plan, things won’t happen exactly as you expected. Leave room for flexibility.
- Figure out the best vehicle for getting there. There are different ways to get from here to there, and not all are created equal. Find the one that makes your adventure the best it can be.
- Have a backup or alternate plan for getting there. Sometimes the best way isn’t possible, so have a back-up.
Question: Agree? Disagree? What did I miss? Talk about it in the comments below, or on our Facebook page.