Stories of the Magic Podcast – Episode 033 – Lee Cockerell, Part 1
Sponsored by Leaving Conformity Coaching.
It’s been about 2 months since the last episode. Part of that, as I’ve mentioned before, is just trying to schedule guests, but this time there was quite a bit more involved, and at the start of this episode, I let you in briefly on what’s been happening.
Today, we get part 1 of a 2 part interview with Lee Cockerell, the former Executive Vice President of Operations for the Walt Disney World Resort. Lee is also a speaker, and the author of two books, Creating Magic…10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney, and The Customer Rules…The 39 Essential Rules for Delivering Sensational Service [both are affiliate links]. Lee had some very interesting times at the Walt Disney Company and has some great insights to share.
Oh, I should also mention that we recorded this at 6am my time, so I still have my morning voice.
- In this episode, Lee talks about:
- How he got started working for the Walt Disney Company;
- Starting in charge of Food & Beverage at Disneyland Paris as it was opening;
- Transitioning to hotels at Disneyland Paris;
- Moving out to Walt Disney World as Senior V.P. of Operations for the hotels…then becoming Senior V.P. of Operations at WDW;
- How being in charge of one hotel differs from multi-unit management…besides the obvious;
- The most important thing any organization does;